Monday 31 January 2011

January Wine of the Month

I wasn’t sure if I would do a Wine of the Month for January as typically I don’t drink in January. However, this year in January, there have been five occasions during which I haven’t managed to resist a tipple and I have tasted about 20 wines! A couple stood out as really stunning, including the Canadian Icewine I was telling you about yesterday.
A wine that brightened up my January!
However, my vote goes to a Spanish Rioja red wine which we tried whilst Jane was practising her recipes for the Tongham Tapas Fiesta which is being held on February 12th. This good value wine at just a tad under £10 from Marks and Spencer really wowed me with its powerful balance of berry fruits, vanilla and an underlying earthiness.  My score for this wine was 17 out of 20. Which Rioja? I hear you ask. The answer is Marques del Romeral Reserva 2005. As you will discover if coming to our Tongham Tapas Fiesta, a reserva Rioja is one that has been kept for two years in oak barrels and a further year in the bottle prior to release. If you like Spanish wines pop along to M&S and buy some of this, or pick up a one of the few remaining tickets for our Tapas Fiesta where we’ll be tasting another 7 Spanish wines, along with 12 Tapas dishes. Great value for £22.50 a head. If you want a ticket ring me on 07717 876743.

No comments: