Saturday 20 November 2010

Le Beaujolais Nouveau 2010 est arrive

The third Thursday in November always sees the arrival of that year’s Beaujolais Nouveau. Whilst many wine lovers hate Beaujolais Nouveau and the hype has died down considerably over the years, it is still something us more open minded wine lovers can look forward to. It is always best to slightly chill it and enjoy it in a party atmosphere.


I had my first taste of this year’s wine on Thursday lunchtime in France and although it had the typical banana / pear drops taste I was actually far more impressed than in many previous years. Light and refreshing, with lots of young fruit, it was actually quite pleasant!

This tempted me to buy another bottle on the way home to England at Orly airport. I always tend to believe that the Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau is slightly better, so I bought a bottle from Bouchard Pere et Fils, a negociant in Beaune. This one was also quite pleasant with bags of both pear drops and berry fruits. Cost was Euro 6.60 and scored only about 10/20 but it’s a once a year fun experience. You can always buy better wines at the price but variety is the spice of life.

So my conclusion, one of the better years so do go out and try some!

No comments: