Thursday 9 December 2010

John’s recipe for Turkey and Chestnut Soup

I was up at 6.30am this morning making soup for tonight’s Tongham Tasters event. The idea was to create something seasonal and as I had some turkey stock left over in the freezer from Thanksgiving and fancied a chestnut soup, came up with the following recipe. Although, I have tried foraging for chestnuts in the past, it was not very successful, so I used a packet version from the supermarket.

Anyone for a cup of soup?

I peeled a carrot, an onion, a potato and 2 cloves of garlic and put them in the Thermomix with a stick of celery and chopped. I then added a 200g pack of Merchant Gourmet whole chestnuts, some left-over pancetta pieces and some olive oil. All of this was then sautéed in the Thermomix for about 4 minutes before adding 1 pint of turkey stock, 1 pint of water and some seasoning (salt, pepper and herbs de provence). It was then cooked in the Thermomix for 30 minutes before blitzing for 1 minute. Et voila – a taste of Christmas ready to be served tonight (and whilst all of this was going on I made myself and Jane a cup of tea, drank it and had a shower and wrote this blog!). Thank you Thermomix! For more about Thermomix go to Jane’s blog site    http://www.whyisthereair.com/    …. See you tonight!

I wonder which wine would go with this best - I'll let you know after tonight.

2 comments:

ThermomixBlogger Helene said...

Hey! What timing -- I am just getting ready to post my own chestnut recipe. Not quite like yours, but also fun. Thanks for this soup! I've never had, nor heard of chestnut soup before so am REALLY looking forward to trying this. Hello to you and Jane from my Thermomix kitchen in Canada ;-)

Tongham Taster said...

Hi Helene, hope your soup goes down as well as our did last night. I think it was my fist time for chestnut soup as well but not the last. Goes well well with a drop of Gewurtztraminer by the way.